Run: 6 Pre-marathon training thoughts
The Arizona Rock and Roll Marathon is on January 16th, 2011. Therefore, I don't have to start really training until mid-September. I've been running for about a year now. I've met most of my goals (except for the whole race a 5K thing, working on that), and most importantly I've somehow convinced myself that I am a runner. I am in shape(ish) and I no longer gasp and the idea of an 8-mile run. So that's all fabulous, right?
But... now what? I have almost an entire month to kill, and I'm feeling a bit clueless. Here are my pre-marathon training thoughts (in no specific order):
1. 16-weeks of training and a marathon is going to be hard on my body. My knees are prone to injury. So, until training, I don't want to over do it and end up injuring myself.
2. I want my body to feel well-rested before training. I don't want to be sore or burned out before I even begin.
3. I don't want to get out of shape while waiting to train for my marathon.
4. I'm trying to work on my diet and develop a healthier lifestyle before I start training because I know I'll be famished once the training commences, and when I'm famished I make really bad decisions.
5. It's still, um, REALLY FREAKING HOT OUT.
6. I may get fat and flabby if I don't increase the intensity pretty darn soon.
Maybe I'm just making excuses. Either way, I'm having a hard time deciding what I should do for a pre-marathon training, training plan. Shucks.