4.02.2011

Rant: Part 3: Evaluation bloggonation station


In my re-entry into the blogosphere, I want to do things right. I want this to be one of my most favorite things to do. However as I’ve already mentioned, I’m so torn. I want to write about running, but I also want to write about clothing, writing, music, work, my feelings, cooking, my adventures, my dog, wine, my friends, my trials, my thoughts, the things I learn, photography and so much more.

But how does one incorporate all the wonderfulness that makes her who she is? I know every single one of you could care less about at least one of the things on that list. But I also think a good blogger can make it all work. Below is a list of things that I think make a good blogger. But hey, I’m no pro (I mean come on, I took like, a 3 month hiatus). I’d like your input too. What do you think makes a good blogger?

A great blogger…

1. Has a sense of humor about oneself. This is so important. Readers can smell pretension and ego. The stench seeps through the shiny computer screen like pit stains in a photograph. Shut Up and Run and Confessions of a Pioneer Woman have this trait on lock down. They both, in very different ways, have the ability to brag, tell tales, or educate without any sense of betteratism (betteratism = An inherent, chronic condition leaving one in a constant state of feeling better than all those around them. I make up words now). They laugh at their faults, tease those around them including themselves, and always come back to a humble, introspective conclusion.
 
2. Is either extremely funny, extremely magnetic, or extremely interesting. You don’t have to be all of these all the time. And most days you can even cut out the “extremely,” but ever so often, a good blogger has one of these extreme qualities. (eek, I’ve got some work to do).
 
3. Is either a great photographer, a great writer, or an extremely talented/intelligent individual in his/her field. I’m not saying that a good blogger MUST be one of these things all the time. But I do think a GREAT blogger with staying power and lots of fans becomes at least one of these things very often. (ugh, even more work to do!)
 
4. Is loyal and detail-oriented. Okay, I think I may fail miserably at this one. A great blogger is loyal to his/her readers. She doesn’t miss posts, her posts are regular and she does not make a lot of errors or typos.
 
5. Continually provides fresh, relevant information. ‘Nuff said. 

Shucks, I’ve got a lot of work to do. Please, enlighten me. What do you, fellow bloggers, think makes a GREAT blogger?

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Whitey,
    I think you hit on the key points of being a great blogger. Now the only thing you need to do is find the time to do it. And really, who has time?!? But please, find the time, because you are nice.
    RON SWANSON FOR PRESIDENT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think YOU are a great blogger :) Glad you're posting again!

    I ran into similar problems when I was trying to transition from a wedding-ish blog to a more personal blog.

    I think if you write about what really inspires you or things you love, it will never come off as phony or insincere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks K2! You are awesome!

    And Brie, thanks for the input. I never thought about it but that IS exactly what you had to do, huh? And your blog is awesome. So hopefully, I'll turn out okay. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think as long as you keep it real, that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete

I just love, love, love comments.