4.28.2010

Rate: Team Jillian Michaels



Alright, I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Jillian Michaels. This "controversy" has been blown way out of proportion. I'm not blogging about it as if it is news, because it happened a few days ago, but rather just because it really urks me. First of all, it sounded to me like Michaels was trying to convey how much she believes in adoption, not how much she is "against" pregnancy. I totally relate to that. Reasons why I would rather adopt than become pregnant:  1) I have a long list of small, but annoying, conditions including asthma, bad eye sight and endometriosis-- I don't want to pass that on to anyone. 2) There's a good possibility I'm not able to. 3) I don't want to get fat and I don't want to go through such physical trauma. That's right. I am just as shallow as Jillian Michaels. Sew me. Here's the thing, if you don't really want to have a kid in the first place, then the fear of a pregnant body is probably one reason on the list of many.


Second of all, having a great body is a major part of Jillian Michaels career--  more so even than an actress or singer. Women choose careers over child-bearing all the time, and no one seems to complain. We're a progressive, non-sexist, post-liberation culture right? Then why is it any different for Michaels? Are we still so appalled by a woman making a choice about pregnancy?  Besides, have these people even seen The Biggest Loser? I watch it every Tuesday-- that girl is extremely intelligent and ballsy. Self-esteem issue? I don't think so.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. And no way in hell am I doing that to my body, pregnancy is totally weird, gross and painful sounding. That is my main reason not to have children. Also, I think kids are annoying and kind of disgusting. So there's that. Anyway, I agree with everything you've said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Lana! And yes, haha I agree with the annoying and disgusting thing, I just decided not to include that in my rant. But sooo true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I'm with you on this one. Not everyone wants or needs to have kids. I'm a proud aunt and that's enough for me. It's no one's business but your own.

    ReplyDelete

I just love, love, love comments.